GeorgianIreland.com

Author: georgianireland (page 1 of 2)

“A world that may save the tears of some future Alexander.”

image

John Boyle, 5th Earl of Cork and Orrery undertook a Grand Tour of Europe in the mid 1750s. On the 23rd January 1755 he wrote from Florence;
“Arts and sciences weep at the extinction of the house of Medici. The Princes of that house were many of them learned; all of them encourages of learning. ‘Tuscany was to Italy’ says monsieur de Voltaire ‘what Athens was to Greece’. What Greece is, Tuscany possibly may be, perhaps Italy perhaps Europe. The ball of empire may hereafter roll westward, and may stop in America, a world, unknown when Greece was in its meridian glory; a world, that may save the tears of some future Alexander.”

Interesting thoughts.

Cork’s letters were published in 1774; Letters from Italy, in the years 1754 and 1755 by the late right honourable John Earl of Cork and Orrery. This extract is from letter XII.

Portrait attributed to Isaac Seeman, National Portrait Gallery, London

image

John Boyle, 5th Earl of Cork and Orrery undertook a Grand Tour of Europe in the mid 1750s. On the 23rd January 1755 he wrote from Florence;
“Arts and sciences weep at the extinction of the house of Medici. The Princes of that house were many of them learned; all of them encourages of learning. ‘Tuscany was to Italy’ says monsieur de Voltaire ‘what Athens was to Greece’. What Greece is, Tuscany possibly may be, perhaps Italy perhaps Europe. The ball of empire may hereafter roll westward, and may stop in America, a world, unknown when Greece was in its meridian glory; a world, that may save the tears of some future Alexander.”

Interesting thoughts.

Cork’s letters were published in 1774; Letters from Italy, in the years 1754 and 1755 by the late right honourable John Earl of Cork and Orrery. This extract is from letter XII.

Portrait attributed to Isaac Seeman, National Portrait Gallery, London

image

John Boyle, 5th Earl of Cork and Orrery undertook a Grand Tour of Europe in the mid 1750s. On the 23rd January 1755 he wrote from Florence;
“Arts and sciences weep at the extinction of the house of Medici. The Princes of that house were many of them learned; all of them encourages of learning. ‘Tuscany was to Italy’ says monsieur de Voltaire ‘what Athens was to Greece’. What Greece is, Tuscany possibly may be, perhaps Italy perhaps Europe. The ball of empire may hereafter roll westward, and may stop in America, a world, unknown when Greece was in its meridian glory; a world, that may save the tears of some future Alexander.”

Interesting thoughts.

Cork’s letters were published in 1774; Letters from Italy, in the years 1754 and 1755 by the late right honourable John Earl of Cork and Orrery. This extract is from letter XII.

Portrait attributed to Isaac Seeman, National Portrait Gallery, London

A ‘Rose Tinted’ Georgian City

Too often we look upon Georgian Dublin with rose tinted glasses; its well-laid squares exhibiting austere yet harmonious facades and magnificent door-cases in no way prepares us for the sumptuously opulent interiors secluded behind the brick elevations. Yet we neglect the squalor that was situated directly outside those very doors. We forget for instance that bootscrapers adjacent to the thresholds had more of a functional than aesthetic purpose. However this aspect of Dublin’s history is slowly finding its voice. Dr. Finnian O’Cionnaith’s recently published Exercise of Authority (2015, Four Courts Press)  documented the decades of turmoil surrounding the lighting and paving of Dublin City. Dr. Patricia McCarthy has reassessed how the aristocracy of Georgian Ireland lived from day-to-day in her publication Life in the Country House in Georgian Ireland (2016, Yale University Press).

50100646_12

Both of these authors, along with other eminent names associated with the history of the Georgian Era, are presenting papers at a seminar dedicated to life in Georgian Dublin. Organised by Dublin City Libraries and Archive, and hosted in the former Royal Exchange (now Dublin City Hall) as part of Heritage Week 2016, this seminar covers topics from construction and habitation to conservation and restoration. The seminar is being held on the 24th August and early booking is essential at dublinpubliclibraries@dublincity.ie or on 01 674 4806.

50100620_12

Mount Street Upper, Dublin

*Cover image: Herbert Street, Dublin.

_______________

Posted on 10-08-16

Citation;  McKenna, M. (2016) A ‘Rose Tinted’ Georgian City.  Available at www.georgianireland.com (Accessed dd/mm/yyyy)

Know Your Glazing

When reading a building facade, our eyes play across the surfaces and our mind analyses what we see in an attempt to identify balance and delight.  Proportional symmetry in fenestration is a crucial part of how our subconscious mind forms an aesthetic judgement and therefore produces an aesthetic emotion.  Although providing ample tutelage on how to balance window openings across a facade, a striking detail often overlooked in eighteenth-century pattern books is fenestration glazing, and glazing furniture.  This is curious when we consider that the thickness of a glazing bar for instance is integral to a facade appearing dense and imposing or weightless and inviting.  It was hardly the case that glazing was not considered of visual importance by the early eighteenth-century architect.  Was its manufacture so controlled as to not necessitate illustrating?  The method of illustrating windows on facades changed over the course of the century, and publications in the latter half of the eighteenth century include glazing bars on their buildings.  By the early nineteenth century the incorporation of fenestration into illustrated facades appears commonplace.

Abraham Swan (A Collection of Designs in Architecture, 1757) includes glazing bars in his designs for interiors but not exteriors.  Matthew Brettingham in his treatise on Holkham Hall (The Plans, Elevations, and Sections of Holkham Hall, 1773) does likewise.  Batty Langley’s The Builder’s Jewel, 1741, exhibits many designs for window architraves and pediments but does not include any sashes or glazing bars.  Colen Campbell’s Vitruvius Britannicus (in 3 vols., 1715, 1717, 1725) does not illustrate glazing bars on external facades, but George Richardson’s New Vitruvius Britannicus (in 2 vols., 1802, 1808) does.

Abraham Swan

Abraham Swan (1757) A Collection of Designs in Architecture, vol.2.

 BrettinghamMatthew Brettingham (1773) The Plans, Elevations, and Sections of Holkham Hall.

 

Richardson

Robert and James Adam, New Assembly Room, Glasgow; from George Richardson (1802) New Vitruvius Britannicus, vol. 1.

Hawksmoor, et. al. (The Builders’ Dictionary, 1734) informed by a Mr. Leybourn, note several types of glass available, and report that ‘an English glass-maker went over to France on purpose to learn the French way of making glass; which he having attained to, came over again into England, and set up making of Crown Glass, and in the performance, outstripped the French his teachers’.  The dictionary includes a price for crown glass; between £0.0s.6d and £0.0s.8d per square foot, and a price for ‘looking glass’ at a much higher rate of around £0.4s.0d per square foot.  Interestingly, it also notes a type called ‘Jealous Glass’ costing around £0.0s.18d per square foot, which obscures visibility and is ‘commonly used in and about London, to put into the lower lights of sash-windows …to hinder people who pass by from seeing what is done in the room’.

Steevens Drawing

Steevens Image

The view of the front facade of Dr. Steeven’s Hospital, Dublin as illustrated above (Robert Pool and John Cash, Views of the most remarkable Public Buildings, Monuments and other Edifices in the City of Dublin, 1780) gives an altogether different impression to the photograph.

Early eighteenth-century glazing is composed of a thick glazing bar and a small pane of glass.  Few buildings have retained their early fenestration but included in their number is Dr. Steevens’ Hospital, Dublin (designed by Thomas Burgh, c. 1717) where the heaviness of the glazing bars creates a sense of enclosed fortitude in the facade.  Later in the century this style was replaced by the more delicate composition of light thin glazing bars, which were sometimes made of metal and veneered with timber.

P1060214

Early eighteenth-century window on basement, Castletown House, Co. Kildare

P1060213

The windows at Castletown House above basement level were refitted with sashes composed of a thinner glazing bar in the later eighteenth-century.

There were two distinct methods for making glass in the eighteenth century.  The first, crown or spun glass, is made by spinning molten glass into a large disc shape, forming an undulating effect radiating from its centre.  This disc was then cut into panes with the price diminishing as the pane neared the centre of the disc.  The bulls-eye in the centre of the disc was then considered the cheapest of the panes, but is now in fact much sought after as a rare novelty.

P1060210

An example of Crown glass

The second method, for making cylinder glass or ‘looking glass’, necessitated the forming of a cylindrical shape and then elongating the cylinder by swinging the form into a deep trench.  Whilst molten, this cylinder was cut and flattened out.  This glass is easily identified due to the presence of bubbles in the composition which were circular in the cylinder but became elongated ovals when the cylinder was flattened out.  This type of glass was more expensive than crown glass due to the viewing clarity it afforded the end user.

P1060217

Cylinder glass with two distinct oval inclusions.

Varying colours clearly evident in eighteenth-century glass is due to the irregular ratios in the composition of materials used in its manufacture, as illustrated in the basement window above.  However, Hawksmoor, et. al. attribute the varying colours to the areas in which they were manufactured; Radcliff glass for instance was a sky blue colour, Lambeth Crown glass a green colour, and German glass either a green or white colour.

It is regrettable that much historic glass has been removed from many historic properties in favour of modern materials whose lifespan comes nowhere close to that of what it replaced.

_______________

Posted on 25-05-16

Citation;  McKenna, M. (2016) Know Your Glazing.  Available at www.georgianireland.com (Accessed dd/mm/yyyy)

 

Leaving Certificate Georgian Architecture Question

portumna_castle_discoverloughderg.ie_600_400

Traditional Building Skills Exhibition 2016

Georgian Architecture and the Leaving Certificate

I am delighted to be presenting a paper to Leaving Certificate students at this year’s Traditional Building Skills Exhibition in Portumna Castle, 1.00pm, 7 May 2016.  The lecture will consider the development of architecture through the eighteenth century and will assist students in preparing an answer for the Georgian Architecture question on the Leaving Certificate Art paper.

This lecture and all scheduled lectures are FREE and no advanced booking is required.  You can find more information here, or download the IGS Event Programme.


Logos

Castle Grove, Co. Donegal

Back to Contents

P1050892

Ideally situated below the crest of a drumlin that shelters the house from the northerly elements, Castle Grove is located adjacent to Drongawn Lough, north of Letterkenny, Co. Donegal.  The Grove family were present on the estate since the late seventeenth-century.  It is reported that a house was built in 1695 to replace one burned in a siege in 1690.  The extant facade exhibits the manner of the 1740s though; an adaptation of a townhouse in scheme with plain facade and ornamental doorcase.  The plan too resembles a townhouse layout; a square entrance hall opens onto a staircase to the north flanked on the east by two large reception rooms, and on the west by another.

P1050886

P1050863

The main house is three bays wide and two storeys tall.  The tripartite doorcase is of the Doric order in which the free-standing columns work to support the unadorned pediment above, whilst engaged pilasters form ranks on the wall behind.  The sash windows – which are still in working order – are of the mid-late eighteenth-century type, having a thin glazing bar and no joggle or sash-horn.  Much of the glazing has also survived from the eighteenth-century and was made using the cylinder process; a cylinder was formed, elongated, and opened out into a sheet – hence circular bubbles within the material became elongated ovals in the flat sheet.  The windows on the first floor also reveal the interior decoration, having sacrificed the top window pane to the deep coving running around these rooms.

P1050891

P1050884

It is apparent that a good deal of redecoration was undertaken in the nineteenth-century.  Externally, over-mantles were added above the ground floor windows and the interiors in the drawing rooms redecorated.  New chimneypieces were installed in these rooms, window shutters and architraves were replaced, and the ceilings were adorned with pre-moulded lime plaster ornamentation.

The ceiling decoration in the front drawing room is composed of a border or repeating panels embellished with abutting floral festoons tied to the ceiling by ribbon.  This is framed within an egg-and-dart, Greek key, and bell flower succession of mouldings to the outside, and a ribboned fascia on the inside.  The centrepiece is an acanthus palmette surrounded by a floral festoon and a bay leaf border.

P1050837

P1050833

P1050834

Given the subject contained within the decoration of the drawing room to the rear, it may have originally functioned as a dining room.  The ceiling frame contains a grape vine presented within the aforementioned series of mouldings.  This Bacchanalian theme is continued in the ceiling centrepiece where the grapevine encircles an acanthus palmette.  The chimneypiece in this room is of the Doric order, with fluted dosseret below the mantelpiece.

P10508442

P1050842

P1050847

Further additions were constructed in more recent times to the north and west of the house.  As the premises is now being used as a hotel, the stables were converted to suit guest accommodation.  The north extension has been finished in good taste and in a manner conforming to the suite of drawing rooms.

P1050853

P1050855

It is not clear when the orangery to the west of the front door was constructed; as a structure it may be old, but the large plate glass windows are certainly a modern installation.  The grounds contain a walled garden with the surrounding ‘famine’ wall constructed of local material in order to give work to the locals during that turbulent time.

P1050869

P1050882

P1050868

P1050875

P1050874

_______________

Posted on 19-04-16

Citation;  McKenna, M. (2015) Castle Grove, Co. Donegal.  Available at www.georgianireland.com (Accessed dd/mm/yyyy)

Emsworth, Co. Dublin

 

 

Back to ContentsEmsworth

Emsworth House was designed by James Gandon for James Woodmason in 1794.  Woodmason was an Irish entrepreneur involved in printing and stationary.   In June 1792 he announced that he was opening a gallery in Exchequer Street, Dublin dedicated to large scale paintings; the Shakespeare Gallery was launched in May 1793.  His model was the Boydell Shakespeare Gallery in London, founded by John Boydell in 1786.  Woodmason’s plan was to support the genre of History painting in Ireland by commissioning and selling paintings and prints, and he used the popularity of prints depicting scenes from Shakespeare’s plays to fund the gallery’s less fruitful ventures.  Paintings such as Parolles Ambushed and Blindfolded, commissioned from Francis Wheatley in 1792, were exhibited in the Dublin gallery.  This painting depicts a scene from Shakespear’s All’s Well that Ends Well, and appeared alongside two other paintings by the same artist.

Picture1

His Dublin gallery was not successful however as the Irish economy was experiencing a turbulent period, and in January 1794 he opened The New Shakespeare Gallery in Leadenhall Street, London.  Woodmason’s move to London proved to be a prosperous decision as he was appointed official stationary supplier to the Commissioners of the Revenue in the same year.  Perhaps the reasons behind the relocation of his firm from Dublin to London was in anticipation of this contract.  The print below depicts Prospero, Miranda, and Caliban from act one scene two of Shakespeare’s Tempest and was published by Woodmason in London in 1794.  It was engraved by William Bromley after Rev. Matthew William Peters.

Shakespeare Print

Woodmason’s new appointment was probably the motive behind commissioning Gandon to design the villa for him in North Dublin.  A drawing of the house signed ‘J.G. March 94’ is part of the National Library collection and is inscribed ‘Erected for J. Woodmason Esqr. Stemworth’.  It is the only villa attributed to Gandon that has survived and it is regrettable that few historic interiors have been preserved.  In massing, it follows Gandon’s signature tripartite rhythm with the centre crowned by a pediment and flanked by low pavilions.  The ground floor windows are set into blind arches that mimic the fanlight over the front door, and the door surround is of the Doric order.  The house and seventeen acres were sold in 2014.

_______________

Posted on 08-12-15

Citation;  McKenna, M. (2015) Emsworht, Co. Dublin.  Available at www.georgianireland.com (Accessed dd/mm/yyyy)

Andrea Palladio Born

 

Back to ContentsPalladio

Andrea Palladio was born Andrea di Piero in Venice in 1508.  There is some confusion about the exact date with some sources claiming November 8 and others November 30.  At the age of thirteen, he was apprenticed to the workshop of the architect and stone mason Bartolomeo Cavazza da Sossano in Padua, and by the 1530s he was working for himself.  A meeting with Count Giangiorgio Trissino, the respected Humanist, was to have a profound impact on his later career, and it was Trissino who gave Andrea the name Palladio, after Pallas Athena, during their first visit to Rome in the summer of 1541.  Palladio spent a further period of time in Rome in 1545-6.  Finding contemporary surveys of classical Roman architecture unsatisfactory, he studied the ancient remains diligently and in 1554 published L’Antichita di Roma.  From then until the end of his life he worked for the highest patrons in Venice and Vicenza, adopting motifs such as the Greek cross into secular architectural design.  His seminal publication, I Quattro Libri dell’Architettura, 1571, instructed readers on a more proportionately appropriate use of the classical Orders.  It was disseminated throughout Europe and its theories were brought to Britain by Inigo Jones in the seventeenth-century.

Pantheon

Palladio is possibly best remembered for the style of architecture that assumed his name in the eighteenth-century.  The first version of his publication in English appeared in 1715 and was translated by the Italian architect Giacomo Leoni, working under Lord Burlington’s patronage.  Edward Lovett Pearce used an earlier 1601 version  during his Grand Tour in the 1720s and annotated it with his own observations.  He drew inspiration directly from Palladio in his design for the House of Lords in the Dublin House of Parliament and for Bellamont Forest, Ireland’s first country villa, designed for the Cootes of Cootehill in the late 1720s.  Palladio’s block-and-wings motif was used throughout the eighteenth-century in country mansions such as Castletown House, Co. Kildare and Russborough House, Co. Wicklow.

Bellamont

Bellamont Forest, Co. Cavan

_______________

Posted on 30-11-15

Citation;  McKenna, M. (2015) Andrea Palladio Born.  Available at www.georgianireland.com (Accessed dd/mm/yyyy)

Great Fire of London

Back to Contents

GF London

GF London_Dublin

The Great Fire of London began on this day in 1666. It was to have a major impact on the townscapes of in Britain and Ireland. The Building Act of 1667 stated all external and party walls should constructed of brick. the 1707 Act banned the employment of timber eaves cornices and instead suggested a blind parapet be used which would be at least eighteen inches high to better protect the roof from fire. And the 1709 Act stated the windows of a town house should be set back four inches from the facade. The application of these Acts can be clearly seen in buildings such as No.9 Henrietta St, Dublin, attributed to Edward Lovett Pearce.

_______________

Posted on 02-09-15

Citation;  McKenna, M. (2015) Great Fire of London.  Available at www.georgianireland.com (Accessed dd/mm/yyyy)

Older posts

Copyright © 2018 GeorgianIreland.com

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑